Thursday, October 28, 2010

Work Ethic

Jordanian work ethic can not even be compared to the American idea of what work is.  There is no way, no how, that the Jordanian culture can holistically comprehend of how Americans work.  I try my best to put in a full 8 - I mean 9 hours a day of work here. It's a 6 day work week here, 8 hours a day, but because at my office we get Saturday off, we should work from 9am - 6pm. I literally have no way to fill 9 hours with work in my last week at the office.  I can't take on new clients, the ones I have don't follow up, respond to e-mails, or call back. I have work to do with the designers, but because we are going to print on Sunday, they are too busy to sit with me - so literally I have nothing I can do, so kill me, I'm taking 15 minutes to blog at work this afternoon.

The silly thing is, even with nothing to do, I'm working to Jordanian standards.  As long as I finish my work, I should be ok right? Nope. I can't even take the necessary 1.5 hours per day of unpaid leave to file my visa paperwork as often as I need to.  Why not? You're not paying me for it and I finish my work, so why does it matter? Oh, apparently it matters, but I haven't found out why yet.  I've learned to just stop asking questions and just accept it for what it is.  I'll go with the system  for the next few days until my job changes to something I'm overwhelming passionate about - education and kids!

I'm looking forward to being a Kindgarten 2 and Grade 1 teacher at a renowned school here in Amman.  I can't wait to be apart of community building and knowledge empowerment, instead of lying, cheating, and scheming that most of the marketing and publishing world is about.  The task of being the change I want to see in that realm is way too overwhelming for my spirit right now.  Instead I'll be willing to trade that for blessed little 5 year olds and a smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment