Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Clear Inspiration

Suheir Hammad "What I Will"

I will not dance to your war drum. 
I will not lend my soul nor my bones to your war drum.
I will not dance to your beating.
I know that beat.
It is lifeless.
I know intimately that skin you are hitting.
It was alive once hunted, stolen, stretched. 
I will not dance to your drummed up war.
I will not pop, spin, break for you.
will not hate for you or even hate you.
I will not kill for you.
Especially I will not die for you.
I will not mourn the dead with murder nor suicide.
I will not side with you nor dance to bombs because everyone else is dancing.
Everyone can be wrong.
Life is a right, not collateral or casual.
will not forget where I come from.
will craft my own drum.
Gather my beloved near and our chanting will be dancing.
Our humming will be drumming.
will not be played.
will not lend my name nor my rhythm to your beat.
I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance.
This heartbeat is louder than death.
Your war drum ain’t louder than this breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment