Friday, November 26, 2010

The Most Perfect Servant

Today is the Day of the Covenant in the Baha'i Faith.  We celebrate this day as the appointment of 'Abdu'l Baha as the Center of the Covenant of Baha'u'llah.  'Abdu'l Baha has a unique station, the Mystery of God, he is not a Manifestation of God, but he is not an average follower.  He is the exemplar, the most perfect servant, someone all Baha'is strive to be alike.

So, today I went to the Baha'i Center.  First, can I just say it is an incredibly beautiful building? It reminds me so much of the Holy Land.  There is a center path with two or three rows of gardens (which are not complete) on either side and a brand new grand white stone stair case leading to the second floor of the building which opens to the main entrance. There is a beautiful wide veranda in front hovering over the stairs with a stone railing.  I thought, this is what a Baha'i Center should look like and one day when there is a House of Worship here, it will be breathtaking.

The presentation of 'Abdu'l Baha's travels was impressive; so many pictures I never seen.  Where do they find these precious pictures of unique moments from the history of the Faith?  It included the use of Google Earth to hop from one of his destinations to the next. But the music was the best  - prayers chanted in Arabic make your heartstrings vibrate in a very unique way (which really makes me want to get a tutor ASAP).  The children's songs were adorably adorable and I could understand most of the Arabic lyrics.

 From my travels when I was living in Bethlehem in summer of 2009.
I went out for an hour to look at an apartment to return just before the closing devotions.  I was enjoying the Arabic prayers and music, but since I couldn't understand them I decided to open my English prayer book to read some on my own.  I have a sealed prayer request in there from a fellow Baha'i who had brought on her pilgrimage. Most days, I just move it around in the book as a book mark, but today I stopped to look at it and think about what is actually inside.  I remembered that I had I asked for confirmation and guidance... and suddenly I become conscious of where I was and listening to Arabic prayers and I had some tough realizations.  Here I am, sitting quietly with a special prayer request in my hand stamped with the red number 9 and the words "The Mansion Bahji".  How incredibly special! I have visited the gardens, but never the Shrines. Again, how incredible for me to even do that... so early in life, so incredible.  The bitterness set in when I realized that most of those around me couldn't see what I have seen or have the opportunity to be a pilgrim to the Holy Land.

At end of the day, I was given a very special gift by a dear friend.  Last spring when I decided I wanted to come to Jordan, I was advised not to bring or wear any Baha'i jewelry.  So, I didn't even though I really wanted to - I know I was sorta of immature about it, but I just really liked that I could wear it in America.  My choice of jewelry at the time was a silver and green enamel nine pointed star with the Greatest Name in the center which I had bought during my pioneering orientation at the House of Worship in Chicago. I knew I couldn't bring it with me, so I decided to wear it everyday before I left.  I have a dear spiritual friend of mine in Minneapolis and coincidently, I ran into her one day and she commented on the necklace.  Digging up my Arab hospitality, I gave it to her because I knew she would truly appreciate it.  I told my friend in Jordan about this story in context of my transition to Amman.  Today, she handed my a some silver bag and inside was a silver pendant with The Greatest Name on it. She explained to me that she bought it in Haifa, the Holy Land without knowing why she said, "I thought maybe for my future daughter."  She then continued and said after she heard my story she now knew why she bought it.  I was so touched and my heart so full of joy and thankfulness I didn't know what to do.  I had let go of my attachment to a necklace from a special place, only to receive one from the Holy Land, the most special place. I hugged her and explained my gratitude to the best of my verbal ability.  There is a reason for everything and there is some special about this little story, even for me.

I am so thankful to know people with such pure intention and love.  I can not describe my change of spirit today. All I can say is Ya Baha'u'llah Abha! Alhamdulillah! For everything, good or bad, big or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment