Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It Comes in Waves

So, I came home to a joyful greeting of "HEEEEEEEEEEEEY SARA!" to be horrified by the news that there is no water in the apartment. Not because we used too much in the first 3 days of the week, but because the previous tenants didn't pay the bill and the landlord doesn't give a woo-ha about this place.  Wait, let me back up a minute, you need a little background to the story before I unleash all my human emotion all over this poor page, because apparently I don't have the ability to shed tears any longer.

I moved into an apartment that has been constantly occupied by foreigners who only stay for a few months at a time, never establishing relationships with the neighbors.  So, the apartment is already known to be a place where people "come and go" and never stay long.  I have neighbors that live across the hall that share electricity and water with my apartment - they have a history of not contributing their share of the utilities.  So, I was prepared to be straight forward with them... or at least seek the help of the landlord to back us on this. Well, the landlord pushes the issue on us, and claims to not understand our English or immature Arabic.  Where does this leave us? If I want water, I don't ask for the neighbors share and just pay the bloody bill.

...and here comes the kicker: PRINCIPLE!

I don't want to do that. I don't want people to continue to cheat. I don't stand for it. I'm done. I'm so finished with blatant lying.  I just want to scream to the top of my lungs that I'm not going to take it anymore!  I want to prepare for my first day of the best job I could ever have on Sunday - not be gross, smelly and wearing dirty clothes. Can my friends help me? Yeah a few - but the male ones, nope because it's 7aram for me to be in their homes. OK, biting my tongue now... it's culture. Just accept it.

...and here comes the aftershock: I'm a pitty complainer.

Guess what? According to UNICEF 1.2 billion people in the world don't have enough water for proper sanitation facilities.  The UN notes that 894 million people don't have access to the 20-50 liters per day of clean water to sustain basic needs such as cooking, drinking, and cleaning.  Here I am complaining about being without water for 3 or 4 days.  I need to keep my life in check.  I am blessed.  I have a job that pays me decently, but gives me immense opportunity and chance to learn. Alhamdulillah! Allah'u'abha!

No comments:

Post a Comment