Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Land of Rejuvenation

Recently I got an e-mail from my mom in Chicago reminding me of the spiritual essence of Jordan.  This land, actually in fact this entire region possesses a very unique characteristic that is of something bigger than the physical world we are so used to being a part of.  Just across the trickle that is left of the Jordan River is a relatively small plot of land named "The Holy Land" and from my own personal experiences that is nothing far from the truth. I still recall the bouncing joy in my heart and soul with each step I took in Bethlehem.

Regardless of the land on the west bank of the river, the east bank has it's only qualities as well.  Just for the simple idea that you can see the holy land from Jordan gives it a special vibration that is different from anywhere else in the world.  My mom noted the fact that many prophets sent time in Jordan and most of their visits was to seek refuge, relaxation and reflection in Jordan.  Whether it was John the Baptist or Moses... also many types of people go to Jordan for this reason not just prophets.

This got me to thinking... I can really turn around my mindset and look at Jordan as a place to rejuvenate and reflect. It's so important to understand one's intent and reason for doing something, for being somewhere.  I want to look at my life here in Jordan has a place where I seek to serve and reflect, this will make my experience worth something and it will better the impact of my efforts.  I love Jordan, I love the people and I will not play into this game.  The game of little lies, like telling a friend I will only be 5 minutes late when I haven't even left the house yet.  The game of cheating to undercut the other.  The game of corruption and names because it's only about who you know.  We are all noble beings and I strive to be noble.  I can be responsible for my actions, my thoughts, my intentions - no one else's.

"Be the change you want to see."  That is some of the best advice a friend here gave me. Thank you for that. It changed my outlook on life here in Jordan, it really did.

No comments:

Post a Comment